Monday, October 7, 2013

Poetry from 2013


07/10/13

Here are five poems that I wrote from January – June 2013. The themes include politics, love, intimacy, denial, growing up and relationships.


Bait

The east and west debate.

The plight caused by Mother
will see you used as bait,
from one to the other.

To get out of this state,
to get out of this cell,
the fires burden your fate,
burning brighter than Hell.

The east and west, sedate.

Don’t forget your brother!
You are bait for the state,
by the faults of Mother.

To get you out this late,
to break out of this shell,
each sight and sound of hate,
burn them brighter than Hell.


Greece

I see the child in you
We were baking in the sun
Hot stone and a deity
One gaze of the star

You wrapped over me
As the shadows were growing
On that freezing night
You carved marks in my belly

Nimble as monkeys
I wove you new skin
Could you throw me an arrow
I, of the unknown


Transience looms heavy
We, smoothened by the rough
Scoop up the honeycomb
Think muscles and bones

Could you hold all the pebbles
Extracting from blood
I return to sunlight
But you must stay young


Refractory

Deep in the refractory,
you were thick as a forest
and wet as the dew
that collects on the tip
of the few who lie gentle.

So, gentle are the few
made wetter by the dew
from the same mouth fueling fires.
Yet, sodden is the skin
but deeper lies the sin
drawn from the well of desires.

Deep in the refractory,
grew the fields and the meadows
and green was the blood
that collects on the tip
of the mud caking on my grin.

Those glances spinning gold
though our lives are growing old,
recall that same comfort at midnight.
You were open as the petals,
flower stretch around the metal
that fence, those barbs, that might.


Self-Cognition

The simple cares of a woman
with love deep as the bones.
It’s something to remember
as she slips you off her toes.
You wish for the thick sleep,
though you will never return
to that vacuum whence you came
with the mumbling hums inside.

You were baking in the oven
long, long before you knew
all that space between the bosoms
and those sour teats you’d reject.

You woke up at midnight,
with hot piss on your sheets
and the quiet of the house.
Not one woman on your mind.

As your time here slips away,
you wasted precious seconds.
Every time you dream, alone,
never a woman on your mind.

Sadly, you’ll always remember swimming in the lake,
such rich, deep darkness lurking in the waters.

Sadly, you’ll always remember the stains of the knuckles
and the teeth from the mouth that should have swallowed.


Son

I carry my son against me
Clutched, close, bosom
I feel his heart beating
Loved, life, throbbing

I’ve kept some time for him
Allocated hours of the day
I’ve kept some time for him
I love the hours of the day

Keep an eye on
Leave it open
Keep an eye on

My son, I carry against me
Bosom, clutched, close
His heart, I feel beating
Throbbing, life, loved

I’ve kept some time for him
Allocated hours of the day
I’ve kept some time for him
All of the hours of the day

Keep an eye on
Leave it open
Keep an eye on




No comments:

Post a Comment